Thursday, March 4, 2010

Causation

Mom and Dad:

Upon my senior year of high school, I faced one of the greatest decisions I would ever have to make in my life. The decision that stood before me was vast, unprecedented and unclear: which college would I go to? When it comes to making major life decisions, I definitely don’t hesitate when considering myself a procrastinator. It is not that I simply don’t want to take initiative, but rather, I am intimidated by making the wrong decision and living in a world of regret. I should be thankful that my life thus far has presented me with too many options rather than not enough, but that does not deter me from trembling in fear at the thought of committing without being able to test the waters first.

That is the type of person I am. Even when boating every summer on the expanses of Lake Chelan in Eastern Washington, I am the person who will acclimate myself slowly down the latter before I take a leap of faith and jump right in. I suppose this decision was no different. Toward the end of it all, I had to make a decision: do I attend the University of Washington as I thought I would be my entire life or do I take a leap and attend a private university that I hadn’t really known or understood to well.

I think that it is relatively obvious to determine where I ended up, however, that was my leap. To this deal, I am still to always wonder how things would have been if I was to make the decision to go to the UW. Today, I am constantly impressed and surprised with the quality of my education; the fact that I am able to attend classes with highly motivated students. Class sizes are manageable, and often time’s teachers make you account for your lack of attendance. Ultimately, today, I feel that I am more motivated and have been able to network with a lifetime of connections – from professors and business professions alike. If anything, I think that it probably the most important thing that I am able to walk away with. I can honestly say that I can walk away with the confidence of my character and a better, more intimate understanding of the world around me.

However, in the back of my mind is your voice that was so determined to see me become a Husky. All my friends did it, so why didn’t I follow in the same path? However, today, after reflecting back four years later, I can see that our experiences were entirely different. Though I am walking away with grades, knowledge and experience in business, my friends walk away with scores of social memories before they even begin to reference school. However, I went to school to learn and though over the past few years, I have always been slightly jealous of the social aspects my friends concentrate on in their student experience, I can honestly say, I have made the right choice.

I have had some amazing social experiences, but looking back, my best experiences are though academics and I have been able to accomplish that. So, though my experiences are different – Seattle University is well worth the extra money for the wealth of knowledge and real world experience that I have gained. We made the right choice, and I can't thank you enough.

-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment