Ultimately, the claims that Jack Grimes makes in his article "Hook-Up Culture" are something that is hard to deny. In his summary he goes in depth about the intricacies involved in hooking up - something that is arguably inherent in the college culture and has been for a while. In his summary he argues that there is more to hooking-up then just inherently 'being horny'. Ultimately, the author likens this desire rather to emotional intelligence. With that, a hook-up is more than just an act of physical pleasure, but rather an offering of something private. With this, you gain access to something most of the world does not get to see - you become special.
I completely agree with the arguments made by Grimes. However, I think that I would take his argument one step further by saying that it can also be perceived as an act of conquest, victory in some ways to some. By letting people into a space many do not get to see, that person does become 'worthy' as Grimes describes. This worthiness is both self-fulfilling and gratifying and for many they allow the conquest of this experience to relate to positive traits about their character.
Overall, I think that Grimes does a very good job at taking a relatively simple argument and looking at it in a more complex sense. However, I would not go so far as to liken women sexuality as being that of an 'unpaid' prostitute. I think that with both men and women it relates to a sense of self-fulfillment. However, I don't always think that hooking-up is always receiving pleasure without commitment or ultimate happiness. Here, it is important to realize that everyone is different and there are often strings attached, emotionally that he is missing here.
While I agree with some things, I think he misses the mark with others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment