This whole idea of hate speech is something that unfortunately has been around for a long period of time. Today, we use it without thinking. Most people do it without ever actually intending to offend any one person, however, intentions don't always come to fruition. Often times, the victims of hate speech are subjects of language that has become integrated into our everyday vernacular. This speech is in fact hurtful, whether or not we intended it to be that way in the first place.
It is very difficult to attempt to get individuals to change their mentality against something such as language. A lot of the time, it is something we do subconsciously but every now and then it is something that is not. Overall, I think the site does a very successful job in its hopes for persuasion and I agree with the press release by the ad council when they say that the ads are in fact realistic.
For a campaign to not seem overly assumptive, in my opinion, is a difficult thing to accomplish. What I like about this site is that instead of telling us what we are doing wrong and making us feel like we are bad people it provides real solutions. This site simply offers solutions to our actions as well as real facts. I found the part about the language on twitter to be particularly fascinating. It offers ways to look at how we use language differently and simply asks that we take a new perspective on it.
Overall, the site was very easy to relate to. It offered up compelling stories, but didn't feel overly contrived or pushy. I think the cause is worthwhile and the message is very clearly articulated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment